The church was built in the beginning of the seventeenth century, rebuilt in the middle of the eighteenth century. The church and the belfry were demolished in 1935.
A short distance from Pyrohoshcha Madonna, across the street from St. Florian's Convent, existed an old and historically interesting structure dating from the beginning of the seventeenth century. Easily recognized by its Baroque front facade, the Gothic windows on the side facades, and a neo-classical belfry, the Church of Sts. Peter and Paul was one of the few remaining buildings that conveyed an idea of the Kievan architecture of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
This building was originally built by the Polish bishop Krysztof Kazimirski as the Gothic Roman Catholic Church of St. Nicholas of the Dominican Fathers monastery. Using brick from the ruined medieval church of Sts. Borys and Hub of Vyshhorod, the Dominican Fathers completed the large Gothic church about 1610. After Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytskyi's revolt against the Polish crown, the monastery and its holdings were expropriated from the Roman Catholic Church.
The late Gothic, three nave church underwent major reconstruction and was the only remaining structure of a large complex of buildings. After a fund raising campaign from 1744-50, the Gothic gable wall of Sts. Peter and Paul was replaced by a Baroque facade with round and Greek cross form windows and a shaped gable of fluted pilasters and niches. A later addition of a low gallery in front of the building obscured the fine Baroque portico. A four tier Rococo iconostasis of gilded wood carving on a red background was installed in the 1740s and is considered one of the better works of this period.
Next to the Church of Sts. Peter and Paul. the well-known Kievan architect Hryhorovych-Barskyi built a three story belfry. The original Baroque cupola of the belfry was replaced after the 1811 fire by a flat neo-classical dome with a spire.
In the 1920s the Church of Sts. Peter and Paul was closed for worship. By 1930 plans were being made for utilization of this large historical structure as an archival storage facility of Ukraine's Central Archives."
No information is available on the circumstances or the date of the demolition of the historical Gothic structure and the adjoining Hryhorovych-Barskyi belfry. According to Soviet Ukraine's legislation of June 16,1926 regarding the "monuments of culture and nature", the Commissar of Education must have authorized dismantlement. Both the church and bell tower were demolished in 1935.